Under SM&CR, you must hold and be able to report to the FCA on demand several pieces of general, financial, and regulatory information about your firm. Corterum helps you to store this in the format and to the extent required by the FCA.
- Click Workbench and then Datasets.
- Click General then Firm.
- Click Firm information then click the circle Plus symbol to the right of the dataset title. The Firm information dataset will then appear.
- Click the Firm name box and then click on the firm that you want to assign information to when the dropdown list appears.
- Click on the box titled Trading name(s) of firm. Type out all names that your firm uses to carry out its business.
- Navigate to the Firm Reference Number (FRN) box and enter in the FRN assigned to your firm by the FCA.
- Move to the Business overview box. Click inside it and describe in appropriate detail all the regulated trading and business activities carried out by your firm.
- Navigate to Contact information and then click inside the Registered office box. Type in here the address (excluding postcode) that you have designated as your registered office with Companies House.
- Next, fill in the postcode of your firm’s registered office (as declared to Companies House).
- Continue on to the Head office box. Click inside it and type the address (excluding postcode) of your firm’s head office.
- Next, fill in the postcode of your firm’s head office.
- If your U.K.-based firm is a branch of an EEA or non-EEA firm, click inside the UK branch address box and type in the address (excluding postcode) of your firm’s UK branch.
- Next, fill in the postcode of your firm’s UK branch. Do not fill in this box if your firm is not a branch.
- Click on the Principal Place of Business box and enter the address (excluding postcode) of your firm’s primary place of business. This is generally where your firm’s books and records are stored and/or where its senior leadership team is primarily located.
- Next, fill in the postcode of your firm’s primary place of business.
- Then move to the Telephone Number box and type a telephone number through which a relevant member of your firm’s staff can be reached.
- Click on the Email address box and type an Email address through which a relevant member of your firm’s staff can be reached.
- If your office has a fax machine, click on the Fax number box and type a fax number through which a relevant member of your firm’s staff can be reached.
- Move on to the Regulator Information panel. Click the FCA Regulated? toggle if your firm is FCA-regulated.
- Click the PRA Regulated? toggle if your firm is PRA-regulated.
- Finally, press the Appointed representative? toggle if your firm is an Appointed Representative (a firm that conducts regulated business on behalf of a directly FCA/PRA-regulated firm).
- Note: Do not choose any of these if none of them apply.
- Next, move to the MiFID Information panel. Fill in each MiFID-related field in turn, noting your firm’s type and status under MiFID, as well as any passports held by it. Also document any restrictions imposed on your firm under MiFID.
- Click on the IMD passports held field and click on the country of any passports held by your firm under the Insurance Mediation Directive (IMD).
- Click on the Firm’s auditor box and click on the user in your firm who is responsible for internal auditing. If they are not set up as a user in Corterum, you will need to create them.
- If your firm has an actuary, click on the box titled Firm’s actuary and click their username from the list of users/employees in your firm. If they are not set up as a user, you will need to create them.
- Click the Accounting reference date box and indicate your firm’s accounting reference date. Within 60 days of your firm’s accounting reference date, you must make sure and confirm to the FCA that the details they display about your firm on their website are 100% accurate.
- Now move to the Financial year end date box and indicate the date when your firm’s financial year ends.
- Finally, move to the box titled Locum. If your firm has a locum; someone external that can step in, if necessary, to ensure the smooth running of business, declare their name and contact details in this box. Leave the box blank if your firm does not have a designated locum.
Uploading supporting documents
You can also upload documents to support the firm information recorded in this dataset. To do this:
- Click on the button underneath where Other documents is written.
- Once clicked, press select file and choose the document that you want to upload.
- Then click the description field and accurately describe the document (e.g. ‘MiFID passport proof.’).
- Press Document date and indicate the date when you uploaded the document.
- Click Linked business entity(s) and click on a firm from the dropdown box to link the document to that firm.
- Finally, click Upload and your document will be uploaded.
Finally, click Save and then Close. You should now have most information relevant to your firm’s SM&CR classification stored in a single place.